Thursday, March 6, 2014

The Visit


The Visit
from the series The Inhabitants
oil on canvas
16″ x 20″

I was thinking about and had this idea about visitors, guests, or someone coming over unexpectedly. I didn't know if the subject in the painting would be the visitor or if the viewer is actually entering this person's space. The conclusion was it didn't matter—I would leave it up to the viewer to decide. I also wanted an object to play a central role in this scene and experimented with the size relationship and perspective. The size relationship between the flowers and the man gives the viewer a feeling of deep space and creates a strange tension to this scene.



These preparatory sketches show my early process. I originally wanted a couch with a woman standing in the room. The flowers on the table play a less significant role and are at a much lower perspective. This composition just didn't feel right so I made adjustments. Deleted the couch and woman, added a man in a chair sitting at an angle but facing the viewer which creates a sense of drama ... and changing the size and perspective on the flowers.

This painting was published in The Labletter | Annual Journal of Art and Literature

Contact me for purchase or information.

norbertmarszalek@yahoo.com
norbertmarszalek.com
facebook
twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment